Lonely Saturday by !oP


I remember Po! 

That is a thing to say up front. I saw them in all their pomp at the Bull and Gate on a night when I should have stayed in bed and watched cop-TV and eaten the curry of the night before. But I had heard that Leicester had some good bands and they were from Leicester, so I went to see them. I was learning English at the time and may have missed the subtlety but I knew I was seeing something special. I remember Glass King, but I cannot find it anywhere to listen to now, but I wanted to hear them and I searched and I found.*

Lonely Saturday is freshly pressed.  A new song. To be making music so many years later is commendable but that does not mean it is good.

But this is. It is like all the ingredients from that stage have been refined down to a voice and a song. It is winsome without being frail. It is melodic without trying too hard to drill into your brain. Then you find yourself singing it when you lie in bed watching cop-TV and eating last night's curry.

* I did eventually find a short snippet on Amazon

Comments