Oob Betty, Baby, Where Are You?

 

Why do they do this to me? They know I am a serious music journalist and I am expected to pass commentary on this pap. This blended puree of synthetic beats and jovial and knowing lyric. 

I do like it actually, but that is not the point.

I once saw a band cover this as a 12 minute shoe gazing dirge, and it was funny for 11 seconds and awful for 11 minutes and 49 seconds. They missed the point. You cannot subvert this medium. There are no chinks in the armour of this sublime creation. Every piece joins with an airtight seal that builds a song that could go to 500 fathoms and not break a sweat.

Music is of its time, and I wish this music was of the time now. But it isn't. It grates and jarrs and makes my molars spasm with the pain of separation from happier and simpler days.

Comments