But, Was It Worth It? Golden Plates



Wilful. That is the word. Well it is A word as well as THE word. It applies to Golden Plates, a multi-human band from America with something of the soul of English indie music entwined between each rib and up to the collar line.

This is by no means the first song from Golden Plates, but it is the first I have managed to review. If you are new to the band this is a fine introduction. There is a layer of humour. It diverts attention from a deep, troubling sadness. Is he joking? He is perhaps pretending to but the sadness is true and it runs through every note and every sigh.

Competent is a word thrown as a criticism at indie artists, with some unfairness. Musically this is very, very competent. Expert. This sounds like the work of a major recording artist. The detail in the sound is exquisite. But what lifts it from competent pop to wonderful indie is the cracks in the facade. The moments that make you want to weep a little. I loved Blue California but I didn't play it to many people because I wanted it all to myself. I wanted to be the one and only, unique listener. I wanted him to have written that song for me. It felt like he did. And this one is the same. It feels like he wrote it and released just for me. You will probably feel the same too.



 

Comments