This Time It is Nasty: Play Boy Driver

 


As always I must start with a disclaimer. I have known people in 9 o'clock Nasty by different names over many years. When I first came to the UK as a stupid Czech boy with ambition they were my friends. When I reach the final years of my life they are my visitors and confidantes. They know however that I will call them out for shit more than anyone. This is a review of their next release "Playboy Driver,"

Context matters. Instead of an EP we have one song. The band tell me this is what modern bands do. They release a song each month to maximise their plays. I call bullshit on this, I have heard the two songs that would have gone on the EP with this one and it is sad they will wait to be heard.

But they are the artist, they choose what to release. One song. Is that enough?

It certainly is a full song.

Barely restrained guitars hang on the edge of meaning as the crescendo builds. Every instrument battles to take control in a heaving mess. This is music on the edge of falling apart and spilling onto the pavement in every moment and somehow it stumbles forwards and keeps pace. There is something very dark at the heart of this song. Kinetic. A casual death. Yet it fills me with adrenaline and joy and I cannot help playing it over and over again. For a few moments, I am the Playboy Driver, and I think that is the point. We would all embrace death if our life could be this good.

As I embrace death myself, that is easier to say dear reader.

I have seen the video that will go with this and I laughed out loud and pissed my pants. I wear a nappy so that is not as extreme as it may seem. It is the best music video I have ever seen. Laughter is always behind the mask with 9 o'clock Nasty, I am not sure anymore whether they are comedians or Artists or both. They watch for a chuckle and they feed on it. But then you see the coldness in that laughter. 

Either way, Playboy Driver is a violent, sexual beast and I am sure listeners to King Thing and Do Me Too will enjoy it. I do.

Comments