Good Morning Micro Man: The Hooligans of Margaret

 

I am a fan of the Margaret Hooligans. I looked forward to this release. I follow them incognito on social media and although I confess to having lost my love of reviewing music, I still enjoy a listen and this song moved me to pick up my keyboard and blow off the dust.

So let us talk about Good Morning Micro Man.

This is a song with good bones. Two people, each with an instrument and a voice. We can hear everything that is going on. And what is going on is simple, spare,  leaves the step step step open to hear. The riff is simple. The drumming complex. The lyrics draw you in. They say what has to be said rather than what fits. This sounds like pop, but it isn't.

We grind along happily for a while. We feel like everything is in its place and we know where those places are. Then they reveal the chorus.

"Everlasting Life is What You Lust" they sing and probably say more about billionaires with a messiah complex in a few lines than the free press has managed in years. The sound evokes a lot of their earlier material - Soulfather in particular, but that is good. This is a band with a sound. A good sound. They keep punching until it lands.

Keep Punching.

Comments