Darker Star, Nasty of Nine

 


And so again I preview a 9 o'clock Nasty single, which is both a blessing and a curse. They bring me their new songs and I write a few words, not always kind ones. 

I understand this song was difficult to produce and get to the place where the band were happy to release it. You can tell. The mix and the arrangement are deceptively complex. This is a song that sounds effortlessly easy, and only reveals its twists and quirks on close inspection. But you don't need to inspect it closely to decide whether you like it or not. After a slightly unusual opening few seconds the song explodes into life. If you like the first 5 seconds you will love it all.

It marks a departure from that crisp post-punk style of the records this year. I despair.

Fuck me. Will this band never settle on one sound and stick with it? 

This record sounds like it was recorded by an orchestra of tramps using junkyard instruments. Yet bizarrely everything clicks into place, and it has a soulful groove, a whimsical aggression unlike anything I’ve heard before.

The chorus has power. Real power.

Yes. It's good. 

Comments