Free Up Your Soul. Double Good Company


So to start. If you know me, and if you read my love letters to modern music here habitually, you will have begin the journey. If you know me you will look at the photo for Double Good Company and you will already know that I hated it. I chose to listen to despite this bias because the song description said Alternative Pop. 

That is a curious label. Indie, or independent makes sense. Pop music made by an artist rather than a corporation is entirely rational and to be celebrated. But what is "Alternative" pop. That is like saying "Alternative Mainstream." The two cancel out to leave nothing.

Which was what I was left with after listening to this.

I will begin.

The beats are fresh as they say. Crisp and tight. The vocals are competent. A good clear voice. The words drop a series of cliches that stretch from Sade to every restlessly stupid pop act ever created via the worst wet dreams of Robbie Williams.

So no, I do not like this.

Sometimes it is good to have your preconceptions reinforced. To understand that your bias is your defence. Your prejudice is something to test and check and at times ignore. But it can also help you decide very quickly that something is not for you.

I should have listened to the voice that said "No" when I saw the cover.



Comments