Longheads Flange and Flunk

 

Aha!

A week of rehab finally draws me a picture I can understand.

I won't lie. No, really, I won't. I only published the review of Sleepy Policeman because I had nothing that moved me to write about. But now I do. So I am.

Longheads have no fear. They fear not the flange. An effects pedal. Guitarists like them, They write engaging songs, their drummer is a languid genius that effortlessly taps out a beat that strays between Jazz and Rock. They remind me of Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations in all the good ways, except the vocals here are more restrained and hesitant, channeling Floyd or shoe-gazing. But they are good.

I lose hope every day that I will ever find good music to champion, and then every day when I allow myself to look, I find. Something. A glimmer. A sliver of wonderful.

Listen to this. I do not like flange applied to music, but I like this.

Those drums. Those drums.

Comments