Romantically Sycophantic: Miky Dunn

 

I had to miss my review yesterday because I listened to four new tracks that were without personality and without charm. I can forgive poor songwriting, I can forgive sounds that are poorly produced, but if music has no sense of personality I'd rather just move on.

Today there were three songs that lacked lustre and then this one. This one grabbed me and I looked up Miky Dunn who has clearly served his dues, worked live, produced a good body of work and comes across as a decent human.

So I'm happy to say this new release passed the personality test.

If you know my utter contempt and hatred for anything resembling a tribute band, you'd be surprised at how much I enjoyed this song. Why? Because Miky is a leading member of a Beatles tribute band, a good one. I have no objection to covers bands. But a band that tries to emulate the very soul of another artist, well they have no place in my life.

Do I hear the Beatles echo in this record, Sycophantic Romantic? The lightest of touches, part way in. But we'll come back to that.

The song starts strongly. Good chops, good melody, clear and proud guitar and vocals. In those few bars I heard the music as I want to hear it. The song goes on from there with all the usual structure you'd expect and it works, but it add layers like too much blusher on a Saturday night out. The slight hints at influences from a wide palette of others detract from the simple, directness that the song begins with. I wanted to write about this music and tell you all to listen to it by the end of the second bar. What followed doesn't make me want to stop saying that, but if I'd started half way through I wouldn't have seen the human within.

Good song, and a good back catalogue to explore.

Comments