Welcome to Hell, Nasmore

 

Sometimes I have to review something when I know I will not enjoy it.

Why? Well partly because I want to have some balance to this corner of the internet and for people to know that I do not like all the music that I hear (and I accept no payment from any artist, so I can hold my head high and say I write what I think, not what it is convenient to say). Partly because sometimes I start listening to something and it changes my mind. It breaks my prejudice.

I had never heard anything by Nasmore before, but he appears to be a well-grounded artist, Canadian, with a range of musical styles and releases. This one is called "Welcome to Hell." That was almost the end of this story, as whilst I might enjoy something dark, and I might enjoy something obvious, I cannot enjoy something that is both.

Welcome to Hell has all the elements a song of its name should have.

Drums with leaden tones. Yes

Guitars that growl and hum. Yes

A voice that seeks to twist and express anger, strength and mystery. Yes.

And I cannot bear it. I listed once through and to the first minute a second time. I can find nothing in it that I like. I do like the official Nasmore hat, for sale for C$30.95. 

Comments